These muffins are a tasty treat I made for Ian to bring to work and share with his coworkers ages ago; they were delicious and spicy and honestly, I think I want to make some more soon.
Bacon Cheddar Buttermilk Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, plus more to top
- 1 cup pre-cooked bacon pieces, plus more to top
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, bacon and grated cheese. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, and melted butter, and pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until combined. Spoon the batter into a lined, greased muffin tin. Top with remaining bacon and cheddar, and bake 15-17 minutes or until cheese on top has melted and muffin is light golden brown.