These were my winning entry in this year’s Ramble Bake-Off, and they’re pretty darn delicious. They also raised a healthy chunk of change to help homeless veterans in New England!
Double Chocolate Salted Caramel Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter-flavored Crisco
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips, melted
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chunks
- Milk Duds (or other chocolate-covered caramel candy)
- sea salt
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; set aside. Cream together Crisco and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; mix in vanilla and melted chocolate. Gradually add flour mixture; mixing just until combined. Fold in chocolate chunks. Form dough into pucks about and inch and a half across around a Milk Dud center. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and bake until edges are dry, approximately 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.