Lemon custards are delicious, rich, eggy treats, with a tart lemony flavor. I like to top mine with a drizzle of sauce, usually a reduction of a fresh summer berry like blueberry or raspberry.
- 3 c light cream
- 3 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Place eight 6 oz. ramekins or 1 large oven safe pie plate into a baking pan with at least 3” sides.
- Mix whole eggs, yolks, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and salt in a large stainless steel bowl.
- Scald fluid dairy product; pour hot liquid into the bowl and mix gently to avoid bubbles and foam.
- Pass through a fine strainer or cheesecloth into a bowl.
- Pour or ladle into ramekins or pie plate.
- Fill baking pan with hot water until it reaches halfway up the sides the filled ramekins or pan. Do not spill water into the custard mix. Spoon off any foam or large bubbles from the surface of the custard.
- Put baking pan into the oven. Turn oven on to 350°F. Bake ramekins about 40 minutes or until the custard is set. A larger container will take longer.
- Remove custard from pan. Cool. Serve chilled.